As one of the leading surrogate matching agencies in the country, Worldwide Surrogacy Specialists fully champions surrogacy and its incredible ability to build families. Through surrogacy, Intended Parents can fulfill their dreams of starting or building a family—and surrogates can give another family the gift of a lifetime.
While surrogacy certainly has its merits, like anything else, it's not without its challenges. We know that the far-reaching benefits greatly outweigh any negatives, but it's important to consider both the pros and cons of surrogacy to determine if it's the best path to pursue for you.
Here are the main pros and cons of surrogacy:
PROS OF SURROGACY:
- Fulfilling Your Dream of Starting a Family: Surrogacy offers couples and individuals the opportunity to start a family—regardless of if they are struggling with infertility or cannot conceive on their own.
- Access to Agency Expertise: When working with an agency like Worldwide Surrogacy, Intended Parents have access to competent professionals and family-building experts to guide them every step of the way.
- Increasingly High Pregnancy Success Rates: Pregnancy success rates are high—and ever-improving—due to ongoing advances in medical technology.
- Comprehensive Surrogate Screening Processes: Every gestational surrogate is thoroughly screened during the process to ensure that only the most qualified candidates are chosen.
- Working with a Reliable Team to Guide You: Working with the right team alleviates any fears about the surrogacy process and provide confidence in the journey.
CONS OF SURROGACY:
- Finding the Perfect Agency: Surrogacy can be a complicated process, so both Intended Parents and surrogates must carefully select a reliable, professional agency that will have their best interests.
- Funding Your Surrogacy Journey: Surrogacy is a large financial expense and Intended Parents often require financial assistance, such as from Prosper Healthcare Lending or GPAP.
- Trusting the Process: Intended Parents must accept the difficult reality that much of the surrogacy process is out of their control and put their trust into their surrogate and their surrogacy agency.
- Finding the Perfect Match: For both Intended Parents and surrogates, It's incredibly important to ensure you find the perfect match—especially if you don't have the benefit of working with an award-winning matching agency. (Click here to find out how we find the perfect match!)
- Teaming Up with an Expert That Understands You: Surrogacy laws vary from state to state, so both Intended Parents and surrogates require a knowledgeable attorney—preferably one who has a large network of lawyers throughout the country and is a member of the American Academy of Assisted Reproduction Technology Attorneys. (Our Founder & Legal Director, Victoria T. Ferrara, is proud to be an ART fellow!)
Despite some considerable challenges, the cons of surrogacy are by no means insurmountable—and the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Intended Parents who are fully committed to starting a family and surrogates who wish to give the gift of parenthood can both achieve their goals through surrogacy.
The incredible reward at the end of the journey truly makes the process worthwhile for everyone involved. As long as you partner with a reputable, professional surrogacy agency to help guide you, you can rest assured that you'll be taking the journey of a lifetime.